So tonight was probably the best night I've had since arriving in this wacky city. In a small, dark basement-comedy-club we got our pints in plastic cups, found some seats and watched David Cross and friends (4 really, really good comedians) knock out a few hours of stand-up. Watching live comedy is really different from watching a comedian on tv, there are no ads, there's a completely different vibe from being there in an audience, and it's a lot longer than the cut-down material that gets edited into a segment for television. Going from having never seen a professional comedian before to seeing my favourite stand-up was pretty crazy. David Cross was hilarious, he looked like he was really enjoying himself, and I was just constantly in tears from laughing so hard. Being the last show on his little tour he informed everyone in the audience that they could help themselves to free wine from the bar after the show. What was additionally awesome was Liz and I getting to have a drink with him. I got to ask him about his work, and he was really interested in what we had to say about the dismal means of promoting TV shows in Australia, and why we've moved to London. He did assure us that promoting anything in America is far more ridiculous, which we discussed at hilarious lengths. Then I asked him stuff about AquaTeen and Home Movies, and Tool, and some show he's pitching that he doesn't think will get picked up. It was just awesome, and inspiring. Not a bad day at all, even considering my laptop meeting its demise. Win some you lose some.
Sunday, July 01, 2007
Heroes (not that TV show with the group of people who struggle to act)
So tonight was probably the best night I've had since arriving in this wacky city. In a small, dark basement-comedy-club we got our pints in plastic cups, found some seats and watched David Cross and friends (4 really, really good comedians) knock out a few hours of stand-up. Watching live comedy is really different from watching a comedian on tv, there are no ads, there's a completely different vibe from being there in an audience, and it's a lot longer than the cut-down material that gets edited into a segment for television. Going from having never seen a professional comedian before to seeing my favourite stand-up was pretty crazy. David Cross was hilarious, he looked like he was really enjoying himself, and I was just constantly in tears from laughing so hard. Being the last show on his little tour he informed everyone in the audience that they could help themselves to free wine from the bar after the show. What was additionally awesome was Liz and I getting to have a drink with him. I got to ask him about his work, and he was really interested in what we had to say about the dismal means of promoting TV shows in Australia, and why we've moved to London. He did assure us that promoting anything in America is far more ridiculous, which we discussed at hilarious lengths. Then I asked him stuff about AquaTeen and Home Movies, and Tool, and some show he's pitching that he doesn't think will get picked up. It was just awesome, and inspiring. Not a bad day at all, even considering my laptop meeting its demise. Win some you lose some.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment